What is au pair placement?
Au pair placement involves the temporary hosting by a family of young foreigners who have come for the purpose of improving their language professional skills and enriching their knowledge of Italian Culture. In exchange for hosting them, the au pair offers some work services.
Main requirements to apply for an au pair placement
- The au pair (the visa applicant) must be between 17 and 30 years old;
- The visa applicant must be in possession of a medical certificate, issued no more than 3 months prior to the placement, attesting to his/her general state of health;
- The host family shall sign a written agreement with the au pair before the latter leaves the country of residence or no later than the first week of his/her placement in Italy;
- The au pair (the visa applicant) shall receive room and board from the host family;
- The au pair must have sufficient time to attend language courses and gain experience that will allow for cultural enrichment and professional growth;
- The au pair (the visa applicant) must have at least 1 day off per week, including at least one Sunday per month;
- The au pair (the visa applicant) shall receive a fixed amount of money to be agreed upon in the relevant agreement.
Procedural steps to get an au pair palcement visa
- Drafting of the written agreement/employment contract, in line with the legal provisions on au pair placement;
- Request for and collection of the Nulla Osta (Certificate of No Impediment) – issued by the competent Immigration Desk – by a member of the host family;
- Submission of the visa application before the competent Italian Consulate;
- Entry into Italy and application for a residence permit at the competent Police headquarter;
- Registration of the applicant’s fingerprints at the Police Headquarters;
- Issuance of the residency permit.
Validity of the residence permit for au pair placement
The residency permit issued for au pair placement has a validity of 1 year and may be extended up to a maximum of 2 years upon authorisation by the competent Immigration Desk. This type of residence permit cannot be converted into another residency permit.
How long does it take to get an au pair palcement visa?
On average, the time required to obtain a visa for au pair placement is approximately 1 month from the date of the visa application. Once the visa is obtained, the applicant can travel to Italy and apply for a residence permit.
Get in Touch
Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements for the au pair placement visa and counselling on your specific case.