For the Spanish version of this content, please visit our dedicated page here.
Who can lose citizenship according to the applicable legislation presently in force?
According to the law on Italian citizenship in force as of 16/8/1992, an Italian national can lose Italian citizenship by choice or as a result of a punitive measure.
A) The loss of Italian citizenship by choice
This type of Italian citizenship loss occurs under three cumulative conditions:
- One has or acquires foreign citizenship,
- One has established residency abroad,
- One has spontaneously and explicitly foregone Italian citizenship.
B) The loss of Italian citizenship as a result of a punitive measure
- 1st scenario: one has been employed by a foreign State or entity or by an international organisation of which Italy is not a member, and has not ended the post upon order of the Italian State.
- 2nd scenario: in the context of an ongoing war with a foreign State, one has covered a public post for the enemy State, has spontaneously gained its citizenship or has spontaneously performed military service for that State.
- 3rd scenario: the person who had gained Italian citizenship due to his/her adoption by an Italian parent has been subjected to the revocation of the adoption as a result of his/her behaviour.
Who could lose Italian citizenship based on the previous legislation, applicable up until 15/08/1992?
Up until 15/8/1992, an Italian national would lose citizenship,
- by simply acquiring foreign citizenship through an act of choice (so-called naturalisation) and by having established residency abroad;
- or by acquiring foreign citizenship without will, by explicitly foregoing Italian citizenship and by having established residency abroad;
- or by having continued to perform military service or work activities for a foreign State despite the command of the Italian State to resign from the post;
- or because of marriage with a foreign man by an Italian woman.
Is it possible to regain Italian citizenship after having lost it?
Yes, under certain conditions it is often possible to regain Italian Citizenship
Get in Touch
Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements to regain Italian citizenship and counselling on your specific case.