Who is eligible to apply for conversion of a Student residence permit into a Work residence permit?
The conversion is possible for foreign students residing in Italy who have found a job opportunity in Italy, where they wish to continue their stay based on their working activities.
If the applicant has not completed either a University Degree, Master, University Specialization Course or a PhD in Italy, the applicant’s application for the conversion of their permit is subjected to quantitative restrictions provided for by the so-called Flow Decree. This Decree is issued yearly by the Government and establishes a fixed maximum number of quotas for each visa and residence permit category.
The Flow Decree 2023 provides for:
– the conversion into a subordinate work visa of 2,000 permits for study, internship, and professional training.
– The conversion into self-employment visa of 370 residence permits for study, internship, and training
Hence, in this case, once the fixed maximum number of residence permits for employment or self-employment has been reached, the application for the conversion of Student residence permit cannot be successful.
The time frame to apply for the conversion is from 26 March 2023 to 31 December 2023.
Main Procedural Steps
1. Submission of the relevant documentation to the competent Immigration Desk through a web-portal of the ministry of the Interior;
2. Submission of the original documentation in person to the competent Immigration Desk;
3. Submission of the application for the residence permit addressing the competent Police headquarter;
Validity of the new Work permit
The new Work permit has a maximum validity of 1 year, and is renewable.
The residence permit is renewable under the same substantive conditions valid for the its first issuance, as long as the foreign is never absent from the Italian territory for longer than 6 continuous months.
The applicant can renew the residence permit on their own or be assisted by us.
After 5 years of continuous registered legal residency in Italy, the applicant is eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit.
The expected time frame for the issuance of the new Work permit is approximately 3 months from when the applicant provides us with all relevant information and documentation.
Get in Touch
Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements for this type of Visa and counselling on your specific case.