intra company self-employment visa as a director

What is the employment visa?

This kind of visa is addressed to third-country nationals who have been employed in Italy for a short or long term stay, depending on the duration of the employment contract.

Who can apply for it?

Foreign employee who are hired by an Italian employer, to work in Italy.

In particular the Italian Flussi Decree addresses entry-quota for this kind of visa to:

  • Foreign third-country nationals residing abroad who have competed educational programmes in their Countries of origins;
  • Foreign third-country nationals with Italian origins from at least one of their parents until the third degree of direct ascendance, residing in Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela and Brazil;

The Italian Flussi Decree provides entry-quotas also for seasonal workers in the tourism and agricultural sectors.

How can I apply for it?

In order to apply, your employer must:

  • Request to the competent Immigration desk the Nulla Osta (security clearance) for you to work in Italy, basing on a fix term or an open ended base contract.
    The request can be numerical or by name. The request is by name if the employer hires you in person. On the contrary, the request is numerical in case the employer does not refer to a specific employee but to the lists of foreigner employees willing to work in Italy, which are held by Italian diplomatic authority abroad and sent to the Labour Ministry and Directorial Labour Committees.
    In any case, the request of Nulla Osta done by the employer must indicate:

    • The whole data of the employer or the company where you have been hired;
    • Your whole data, as employee who is going to be hired;
    • A commitment to provide you with the remuneration and insurance treatment provided for by the laws in force and by the national collective labour agreements of the category or in any case applicable;
    • the registered office of the company or the place where the activity will be carried out by you;
    • a declaration stating your accommodation in Italy;
    • the proposal of the residency contract, specifying the work conditions, including the commitment from the employer to pay the expenses for your return in your Country of origin;
    • a declaration of commitment for the communication of any changes related to the work relation.

Which documents do I need to apply?

In order to apply for your employment visa you need to take an appointment to the Italian diplomatic authority in your Country of residence.

The day of the appointment you will need to be present in person and to submit:

  • Related form duly fulfilled;
  • Your current travel document, valid for at least three months more than the visa request;
  • The Nulla Osta to enter and work in Italy. It is issued by the competent Italian Police Office and sent directly to the competent Italian diplomatic authority.

How long will my Employment visa will be valid?

The employment visa is an Italian National visa and it has a validity of 365 days with multiple entrances.

How can I apply to the Electronic Residence Permit, once I have got my Employment Visa?

You must request the release of the corresponding electronic residence permit within 8 days from your entrance in Italy with your yearly multiple entrance employment visa, presenting yourself in person to the competent post-office.

In that occasion you must have:

  • an identity card;
  • the completed postal-kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • a copy of the security clearance (Nulla Osta) to your entrance in Italy;
  • a copy of your Visa;
  • the whole passport.

The competent desk will issue a receipt with the data of the first appointment to the competent police Headquarters, for your personal appearance and the fingerprints. After this appointment, the police headquarters will contact you for the withdraw of your electronic permit card.

How long will my first Residence Permit be valid?

The validity of your residence permit depends on the your employment contract.

It will be valid for 2 years in case of open-ended based contract; in case of fix term contract the permit will be valid for one year.

Can I renew my Residence Permit?

Yes, you can renew it for a maximum of five years in total.

How many times I need to renew my permit before applying for the Italian Permanent Residence Permit?

You can apply for your EC long-term residence permit after 5 years of continuous residence in Italy, without considering your long term stay permit and its conversion, if any.

How can I apply for a permanent Residence Permit?

As for the current law provisions, after 5 years of legal stay in Italy, you can request a permanent residence permit (i.e. EC residence permit for long term residents).

The permanent residence permit has no expiry date, it must not be renewed but only updated. It assigns the third-country nationals the right to enter Italy without a visa, and it is not related to any investment or donation made in the past. You can apply for the permanent resident permit if you are a third-country national who:

  • are legally staying in Italy for at least 5 years;
  • are holder of a valid temporary residence permit;
  • have an annual income from legitimate sources equal, at least, to the amount established yearly by governmental authorities (€ 5.889,00 for 2018);
  • pass an Italian language test.