What is ‘family cohesion’ with someone legally residing in Italy?
‘Family cohesion’ allows a foreign national already legally residing in Italy to obtain a new residence permit based on their family relationship with someone who is also legally residing in Italy. Both a marriage and a same-sex registered union make two people family members.
Main requirements to apply for family cohesion through marriage in Italy
• The person applying for family cohesion (the applicant) should have already resided in Italy legally for at least 1 year prior to the application;
• The person married by the applicant in Italy should be a foreign national legally residing in Italy;
• The applicant and their spouse should get married in Italy;
• The applicant and their spouse should live together after the application for family cohesion, unless they have minor children;
• The applicant should have suitable accommodation in Italy, satisfying hygienic and sanitary requirements;
• The applicant should demonstrate a sufficient income to sustain themselves: around 9,000 euros per year in case of one family member; around 12,.000 euros in case of 2 applicants applying for the residence permit. Note that also the income of the applicant’s spouse can be used to meet this economic requirement;
• If the family member is over 65, private health insurance or registration with the national health system is requested.
Main Procedural Steps
1. Application for the residence permit at the competent Police headquarter;
2. Registration of the applicant’s fingerprints at the Police headquarter;
3. Issuance of the residence permit for family reasons.
Validity of the residence permit for family members
The residence permit for family members has the same duration as the residence permit held by the person towards whom the cohesion is requested.
The residence permit is renewable under the same substantive conditions for its 1st issuance of the first one, as long as the foreign national is never absent from the Italian territory for longer than 6 continuous months.
The applicant can renew the residence permit on their own or be assisted by us.
After 5 years of continuous registered legal residency in Italy, the applicant is eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit.
The average time frame to obtain the residence permit for family reasons is 2 or 3 months from the application.