Who is eligible to apply for family reunification?
The family reunification procedure is specifically conceived for a foreign national who would like to reunite with their family members who already legally reside in Italy.
For the purpose of family reunification, the following family members are considered eligible:
• Spouse or partner of a same-sex registered union;
• Minor children;
• Dependent adult children;
• Dependent parents, as long as they do not have any other son in their country of origin;
• Parents over sixty-five, as long as no other son or daughter can support them in their country of origin for proven and serious health problems, and as long as they are not married to another spouse who is regularly residing in Italy;
• Parent of the minor legally residing in Italy;
• First-degree direct ascendants of an unaccompanied minor having refugee status.
Main Procedural Steps
1. Application for the security clearance (so-called ‘nulla osta’) at the competent Police headquarter;
2. Application for the Visa for family reunification at the competent Italian Consulate abroad;
3. Entry in Italy and application, within 8 days, for the residence permit as a family member.
Validity of the residence permit for family members
The residence permit for family members has the same duration as the residence permit held by the person towards whom the cohesion is requested.
The residence permit is renewable under the same substantive conditions for the 1st issuance, as long as the foreign national never leaves the Italian territory for longer than 6 continuous months.
The applicant can renew the residence permit on their own or be assisted by us.
After 5 years of continuous registered legal residency in Italy, the applicant is eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit.
The expected time frame for obtaining the Visa for family reunification, that will allow the family member to enter Italy, is between 1 to 3 months from the application.
Get in Touch
Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements for this type of Visa and free-of-charge counselling on your specific case.