Image of library for study visa

Who is eligible to apply for a student visa in Italy and residence permit?

This type of visa is specifically conceived for people who:

  • have been accepted in an Italian University or another educational institution for ‘superior’ education (equivalent to the University level) approved by the Ministry of Education;
  • have been accepted in high school or school for technical studies;
  • have been accepted in a foreign University based in Italy or other private Universities acknowledged by the Ministry of Education;
  • have been accepted in curricular training organized by Universities or other institutions for ‘superior’ education (equivalent to the University level);
  • have been accepted in vocational courses acknowledged by the Ministry of Education;
  • have been accepted in courses on the Italian language organized by public universities or other private or public entities based on an agreement with the public educational entity.
  • are minors not younger than 14 years old take part in a cultural exchange program approved by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of foreign affairs.

Main Procedural Steps

  1. Preparation of the necessary supporting documentation;
  2. Application for the student visa at the Italian Consulate of the student’s place of current residency;
  3. Entry in Italy and application for the residence permit at the competent Police headquarter within 8 days.

Validity of the Student Residence Permit

The student residence permit has a maximum validity of 1 year, renewable for continuing multiannual courses under the same conditions of the first one.
The applicant can renew the residence permit on their own or be assisted by us.
After 5 years of continuous registered legal residency in Italy, the applicant can apply for a permanent residence permit.

Time Frame

The expected time frame to obtain an Italian student visa is approximately 2 months from the visa application. Once the applicant obtains the visa, they can travel to Italy, apply for the residence permit, reside there legally and work part-time.

Get in Touch

Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements for the student visa for Italy and counselling on your specific case.