european blue card visa

What is an EU Blue Card VISA?

The EU Blue Card Visa allows skilled foreign workers to enter Italy and apply for related Work Permit with a National Long-term Visa, regardless of the annual quota mechanism. This card allows them to be directly employed by an Italian company or employer. The main requirements and conditions for obtaining an EU Blue Card are as follows:

  • an employment contract with an Italian company or employer, that lasts a minimum of 12 months;
  • a bachelor’s degree (at least) that certifies a specialized qualification recognized in Italy. The university degree must be validated through the declaration of value by the Italian embassy of the country in which the degree was awarded, following an evaluation carried out by the Italian Ministry of Education;
  • the tasks must be of a highly specialized type, i.e. fall in levels 1, 2 and 3 of the ISTAT classification of professions CP 2011;
  • the annual gross salary of the employee must be at least three times the minimum required for exemption from the Italian social security, equal to about € 26,000.

The validity of the EU Blue Card Work Permit is from one year and three months to two years. The EU Blue Cardholders have the same rights as an Italian citizen and can apply for an Italian permanent residence permit after five years of continuous residence within the EU.

Who can apply for the EU Blue Card?

Highly specialized workers, with a bachelor’s degree of at least three years.

Which benefits does it have?

After obtaining the security clearance (Nulla Osta) for the EU blue card visa issued by the competent Police Headquarter, the main applicant can apply immediately for the security clearance of his family members, and request for them the entry visa in Italy at the same time as his request for EU Blue Card Visa.

After 18 months in the first EU Member State of entrance with the European Blue Card, the highly specialized worker can move to another EU Member State, by simply applying for the Nulla Osta even within 1 month from his first entrance in the new EU Member State.

However, there is an absolute ban for the applicant to carry out activities as a non-highly specialized worker.

Is the EU Blue Card residence permit acquired in a different Member State also valid in Italy?

Yes, it is valid for a maximum of 90 days within 180 days. It can be also valid for a period of more than 90 days, if subject to authorization in Italy. Workers in possession of an EU Blue Card issued by another EU Member State, can enter Italy for the purpose of highly qualified employment without requiring an additional Visa, provided they have lived for at least 18 months in that Member State.

The new Italian employer will apply for the relative work authorization within one month from the entrance of the employer in Italy.

How can I apply for it?

The application to obtain this type of visa must be submitted at the Italian competent Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

Which documents do I need to apply?

The first part of the documentation needed must be requested in Italy and consists of:

  • Certificate of no-impediment (Nulla Osta) to the issuance of Italian National Visa for EU Blue Card, to be requested by submitting an online application to the competent Immigration Desk.

This Nulla Osta also includes the authorization to work issued by the competent Directorial Labour Committee based on the contract of employment signed, and it is immediately sent to the Italian diplomatic representation abroad responsible for issuing the visa.

Alongside these essential documents, must be also produced:

  • documentation attesting the availability of accommodation in Italy, such as hotel reservation, short-term rent or declaration of hospitality;
  • the business profile from the companies register of the Italian company (visura);
  • personal income declaration related to the previous financial year, deriving from legal sources, equal to at least € 8,400.

Additional documentation may be added if requested by the Italian diplomatic office responsible for issuing the visa.

How can I apply to the Electronic Residence Permit, once I have got my EU Blue Card VISA?

You must request the release of the corresponding electronic residence permit within 8 days from your entrance in Italy with your yearly multiple entrance EU Blue Card (outside quota permit), presenting yourself in person to the competent post-office.

In that occasion you must have:

  • an identity card;
  • the completed postal-kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • a copy of the security clearance (Nulla Osta) to your entrance in Italy;
  • a copy of your Visa;
  • the whole passport.

The competent desk will issue a receipt with the data of the first appointment to the competent police Headquarters, for your personal appearance and the fingerprints. After this appointment, the police headquarters will contact you for the withdraw of your electronic permit card.

How long will my first Residence Permit be valid?

It has a maximum of 2 years of validity if your employment contract is open-ended based. Otherwise, it has the same validity period as your fix-term contract.

Can I renew my Residence Permit?

Yes, you can for five years. Then you can ask for your permanent residency card. You can also change the type of contract and professional qualification after 2 years.

How can renew my residence permit and which documents do I need to apply?

You can renew your permit by filling the related postal-kit to the post office.

Together with the postal kit, you will also need to submit the following documents:

  • Postal-kit duly fulfilled;
  • Copy of the whole passport;
  • Copy of the old permit;
  • Copy of the contract duly signed by the parties.

In order to renew your permit, you must not leave Italy for more than six months continuously.

How many times do I need to renew my permit before applying for the Italian Permanent Residence Permit?

You can apply for your EC long-term residence permit after 5 years of continuous residence in Italy, without considering your long term stay permit and its conversion, if any.

How can I apply for a Permanent Residence Permit?

As for the current law provisions, after 5 years of legal stay in Italy, you can request a permanent residence permit (i.e. EC residence permit for long term residents).

The permanent residence permit has no expiry date, it must not be renewed but only updated. It assigns the third-country nationals the right to enter Italy without a visa, and it is not related to any investment or donation made in the past. You can apply for the permanent residence permit if you are a third-country national who:

  • are legally staying in Italy for at least 5 years;
  • are a holder of a valid temporary residence permit;
  • have an annual income from legitimate sources equal, at least, to the amount established yearly by governmental authorities (€ 5.977,79 for 2020);
  • pass an Italian language test.