Visa for medical treatment

Who can apply for it?

This kind of Visa is addressed to third-country nationals who need a medical treatment in an Italian public or private certified medical Institute for health reasons.

Which documents do I need to apply?

In order to apply you must have:

  • A medical certification, issued by an Italian or a third-country private or public certified medical institute (with an Italian translation), stating your pathology;
  • A declaration issued by the above-mentioned Italian hospital, stating the payment of at least 30% of the operation costs, or a specific regional decision or a specific authorization issued by the Ministry of Health relating to an humanitarian programme;
  • Proof of sufficient economic means in order to pay the rest of the medical costs, the accommodation out of the medical institute and sufficient economic means for you and for you travels with you, if any, to come back in his/her country of residence;
  • A medical insurance for the person who travels with you only, if any, with a minimum budget of € 30.000,00, covering all the necessary costs for an urgent hospitalization and the costs for a return;
  • Receipt of your return tickets or a proof of personal means of transport, also for the person who travels with you, if any;
  • In some cases it is possible to integrate the supporting documents with a medical certificate, issued by a doctor appointed by the Consulate or by an Italian or a third-country medical Institute, proving that the necessary medical treatment are not available in your country of origin.

How long will the Visa be valid?

This Visa has a validity of 365 days with multiple entrances and it allows you to apply for a residence permit for research purposes.

How can I apply for it?

In order to apply for a National Italian Visa, you must take an appointment with the Italian Embassy in your Country of residence and be present in person. The day of the appointment you will need to submit the above-mentioned documents in order to apply.

How can I apply for the Electronic Residence Permit, once I have got my Visa?

You can request the release of the corresponding electronic residence permit within 8 days from your first entrance in Italy with your yearly multiple entrance Visa, presenting yourself in person to the competent post-office.

In that occasion you must have:

  • an identity card;
  • the filled postal-kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • a copy of the security clearance (Nulla Osta) to enter in Italy;
  • a copy of your Visa;
  • the whole passport.

The competent desk will issue a receipt with the data of the first appointment to the competent police Headquarters, for your personal appearance and the fingerprints. After this appointment, the police headquarters will contact you for the withdraw of your electronic permit card.

How long will my first Residence Permit be valid?

It has the same validity of the medical treatment.

Can I renew my Residence Permit?

It depends from the purpose of your permit.

How many times I need to renew my permit before applying for the Italian Permanent Residence Permit?

You can apply for your EC long-term residence permit after 5 years of continuous residence in Italy, without considering your long term stay permit and its conversion, if any.

How can I apply for a permanent Residence Permit?

As for the current law provisions, after 5 years of legal stay in Italy, you can request a permanent residence permit (i.e. EC residence permit for long term residents).

The permanent residence permit has no expiry date; it must not be renewed but only updated. It assigns the third-country nationals the right to enter Italy without a Visa, and it is not related to any investment or donation made in the past. You can apply for the permanent resident permit if you are a third-country national who:

  • are legally staying in Italy for at least 5 years;
  • are holder of a valid temporary residence permit;
  • have an annual income from legitimate sources equal, at least, to the amount established yearly by governmental authorities (5.889,00 € for 2018);
  • pass an Italian language test.