Who needs a Medical Care visa and residence permit?
This type of visa is specifically conceived for foreign nationals who intend to enter Italy to receive medical care based on an agreement with a public or private healthcare centre.
Main requirements to apply for a visa for medical care
- the applicant should have a proven medical condition that needs treatment;
- a statement from the healthcare centre mentioning the type, duration, and other information concerning the medical treatment that the applicant needs;
- payment, in favour of the healthcare centre, of a deposit amounting to 30% of the supposed comprehensive cost of the medical treatment;
- availability of sufficient economic resources to cover the period of stay in Italy (for the applicant and their possible companion), the cost of repatriation, the cost of the medical treatment;
Main Procedural Steps
- Filing the visa application at the Italian Consulate of the applicant’s place of residency;
- Entry in Italy and application for the residence permit at the Police headquarter within 8 days;
- Registration of the applicant’s fingerprints at the competent Police headquarter;
- Issuance of the residence permit.
Validity of the Medical Treatment residence permit
This residence permit has the same duration as the supposed medical treatment and the related period of convalescence.
The expected time frame to obtain the Medical Treatment visa is approximately 1 or 2 months from the application.