Who can apply for Self-employment Visa as a freelance worker?

The current Flussi Decree 2018 provides that this kind of Visa can be applied by third-country nationals who want to come to Italy as freelances carrying out regulated professions or unregulated professions nationally represented by authorised associations.

How can I apply for it?

The application must be submitted to the competent Italian Consulate in the your Country of residence.

Which documents do I need to apply?

To submit your application to the Italian Consulate, the following documents must be produced:

  • In case of activities for which a license, a permit, the registration in the competent professional association, a declaration or other administrative requirements are mandatory in Italy, it must be requested to the competent Italian professional authority a declaration of no-impediment for the issuing of the professional qualification;
  • In case you want to start an activity which can be registered in the Companies Registrar, a certification of the abstract identification of the resources necessary for entrepreneurial, commercial or artisan activity to be undertaken, issued by the competent Chamber of Commerce. These resources must not be less than three times the annual social allowance;
  • Only in case of activities which can be registered in the Companies Registrar, a prove of sufficient economic resources in Italy in order to guarantee the necessary amount referred to in the above mentioned certification;
  • Availability of an income – relative to the previous financial year – of an amount exceeding the minimum level required by law for exemption from participation in health care expenditure (€ 8.400), already acquired in your Country of residence;
  • In case of activities which does not find a registration in the Companies Registrar and do not need licenses or authorizations, registration in professional association lists (i.e. consulting activities, granted by a professional service contract) and for which is not possible to understand which is the competent administration issuing the no-impediment certification, the following documents must be produced:
    • A professional service contract together with the certification of incorporation of the company, in case it is signed by an Italian company or, in case of foreign company, an equivalent certificate authorised by the competent Italian diplomatic authority abroad;
    • Copy of a declaration of responsibility, previously deposited to the Directorial Labour Committee, where it must be indicated  that it won’t be carried out any employment work activity;
    • A declaration from the employer granting that the compensation of the worker will be higher than the minimum provided by Italian law for the annual social allowance;
    • In case of capital company, a copy of the last financial statement deposited at the Companies Registrar or, in case of partnership, sole-proprietorship or employer, copy of the last income declaration where the revenues or the income are sufficient to pay the above-mentioned compensation.

In case of the three above-mentioned self-employment categories, it is also necessary to have:

  • Proof of availability of an housing in Italy, such as:
    • contract for the purchase or lease of a property;
    • temporary hotel reservation of at least 30 days together with the letter of confirmation made by the owner of the Hotel;
    • declaration made by an Italian or foreign citizen legally residing in Italy, stating that he has made available to the applicant a suitable accommodation, corresponding to the minimum parameters provided for by the regional law for public housing;
  • Security Clearance (Nulla Osta to work in Italy) issued by the competent Police Headquarter, issued not before that 90 days.

In order to obtain the Nulla Osta to enter and work in Italy you must submit to the competent Police office the listed documents:

  • In case of freelance carrying out a regulated profession:
    • Security Clearance (Nulla Osta to carry out the economic activity) issued by the competent administrative authority, such as the competent Chamber of Commerce, professional register, Health Ministry, Ministry of Justice etc.;
    • A copy of the documentation and the application submitted in order to request the above-mentioned Nulla Osta;
    • In case of sole proprietorship, a certification of the abstract identification of the resources necessary for entrepreneurial, commercial or artisan activity to be undertaken, issued by the competent administrative authority above-mentioned.
  • In case of freelance carrying out an unregulated profession:
    • A commitment to contract. In case of subscription by an Italian company, it must be also attached its certification of incorporation (not younger than 6 months). In case of foreign costumer, it must be also attached a similar certification, authorised by the competent Italian Diplomatic Authority;
    • Declaration of responsibility, sent by the Italian employer to the competent Directorial Labour Committee. It must be stated that, basing on the related contract, it won’t be carry out any employer work. Its copy must also be attached;
    • A declaration of the legal representative of the company, which grants to the self-employer worker, a compensation higher than the minimum required by law for exemption from participation in health care expenditure;
    • In case of a company, it must be attached a copy of the last company income declaration and copy of its last financial statements, submitted to the company register.

How can I apply for the Electronic Residency Permit, once I have got my Self-employment Visa as a freelance or unregulated professions worker?

You must request the release of the corresponding electronic residence permit within 8 days of your entrance in Italy, with your one year multiple entrance Self-employment Visa (inside quota), presenting yourself in person to the competent post-office. In that occasion you must have:

  • an identity card;
  • the completed postal-kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • a copy of the Security clearance to your entrance in Italy;
  • a copy of your Visa;
  • the whole passport.

The competent desk will issue a receipt with the data of the first appointment to the competent police Headquarters for your personal appearance and the fingerprints. After this appointment, the police headquarters will contact you for the withdraw of your electronic permit card.

How long will my first Residence Permit be valid?

It has a validity of one or two years renewables.

How will I be able to submit a renewal application and which documents will I need?

The renewal request must be presented as the first request for a residence permit by postal kit and sent in person by attaching:

  • The whole passport or equivalent document;
  • The completed postal kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • Updated view of the company;
  • A copy of the tax return attesting the perception of an annual income at least equal to the amount of the social allowance, or € 5.889,00;
  • Declaration by the President of the company regarding the duties performed by the applicant, with a copy of the declarant’s identity document;
  • Photocopy of the shareholders’ register in the part in which the position held by the applicant is shown.

How many time I need to renew my permit before applying for the Italian Permanent Residence Permit?

You can apply for your EC residence permit for long term residents after 5 years of continuous residence in Italy, without considering your long term stay permit and its conversion, if any.

How can I apply for a permanent Residence Permit?

As per the current law provisions, after 5 years of legal stay in Italy, you can request a permanent residence permit (i.e. EC residence permit for long term residents).

The permanent residence permit has no expiry date, it must not be renewed but only updated. It assigns the third-country nationals the right to enter Italy without a Visa, and it is not related to any investment or donation made in the past. You can apply for the permanent resident permit if you are a third-country national who:

  • are legally staying in Italy for at least 5 years;
  • are holder of a valid temporary residence permit;
  • have an annual income from legitimate sources equal, at least, to the amount established yearly by governmental authorities (€ 5.889,00 for 2018);
  • pass an Italian language test.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *