Who is eligible to apply for a Mission visa and residence permit?
This type of visa is specifically conceived for foreign nationals falling under one of the following categories:
• Members or officials of foreign Governments;
• Employees of foreign public offices, foreign public entities, or international organisations;
• Private citizens who have to carry out activities considered of strategic relevance for the relationship between Italy and the foreign country.
For instance, the following professional profiles fall under the above categories:
– Officials employed by administrations of foreign countries on a work mission in Italy;
– Staff of the international organizations with which Headquarters Agreements are in force;
– Staff with fixed-term contracts of international organizations with which Headquarters Agreements are in force and personalities and members of delegations officially invited to participate in conferences, meetings, conventions and events;
– Diplomatic officials, for short official stays in Italy, provided that they do not involve in formal accreditation or notification;
– Foreign citizens involved in international organizations for cultural or research activities (for example: researchers and students of the University Institute of European Studies or trainees at FAO or other specialized United Nations Agencies);
– Civilian personnel destined to serve at NATO military bases (military personnel are visa-free), which concern both the civilian component (non-military employees directly employed by the US Department of Defense and their armed forces) and the “civilian personnel” (technicians and contractors of private companies, employees of other American Departments and other personnel). For applicants who are located in the United States, the visa will be issued following the request of the US Department of Defense or the Department the person concerned works for. For applicants outside the United States, the request will reach the Representations with a letter from the U.S.S.S.S.O. (diplomatic-legal office that deals with military and civilian personnel destined for Italy) on headed paper of the American Embassy in Rome;
– Personalities and foreigners who hold high civil and religious offices;
– Personalities and members of delegations officially invited by the Italian Government;
– Participants in events and meetings envisaged by bilateral or multilateral agreements to which Italy is a contracting party;
– Third-country nationals who are official journalist in their Country and that must be credited in Italy. In this case they need a Nulla Osta (non-impediment declaration) issued by the press office of the External Affairs Ministry. Their application must be submitted by diplomatic authority;
Main Procedural Steps
1. Filing the visa application at the Italian Consulate of the applicant’s place of residency;
2. Entry in Italy and application for the residence permit at the Police headquarter within 8 days (in case of a national visa issued to reside in Italy for longer than 3 months per semester);
3. Registration of the applicant’s Fingerprints at the Police headquarter (in case of a national visa issued to reside in Italy for longer than 3 months per semester);
Validity of the Mission residence permit
If the applicant has to perform activities in Italy for a continuous period longer than 3 months, they will be issued a residence permit that has the duration of the mission to be executed in Italy.
The residence permit is renewable under the same substantive conditions for the issuance of the first one, as long as the foreign national is never absent from the Italian territory for longer than 6 continuous months.
The applicant can renew the residence permit on their own or be assisted by us.
The expected time frame to obtain the Mission visa is approximately 1 month from the application. Once the applicant obtains the visa, they can travel to Italy and reside there legally.
Get in Touch
Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements for this type of Visa and counselling on your specific case.