Who is eligible to apply for a Research visa and residence permit?

This type of visa is specifically conceived for foreign nationals holding a University degree that gives them access to PhDs according to the legislation of the country where the foreign national graduated, as long as they arr invited to conduct research by an Italian Research Center (e.g. a University or a similar Research Center) that has an agreement with the Italian Ministry of Education and Research (MIUR).

Main Procedural Steps

1.     Applying for and collecting the ‘Nulla Osta’ (Security Clearance issued by the Local Immigration Desk of the Ministry of Interior);

2.     Filing the visa application at the Italian Consulate of the applicant’s place of residency;

3.     Entry in Italy and application for the residence permit at the competent Police headquarter within 8 days;

Validity of the Research visa and residence permit

The residence permit issued to conduct research activities in Italy has the duration of the research program.
At the end of the research program, the researcher can state their immediate willingness to be employed at the Job Centre of the area of residency and apply for a residence permit for expected working activity, having a maximum duration of 1 year. This permit can be converted into a work residence permit if the researcher finds a working activity.
The residence permit is renewable under the same substantive conditions for the issuance of the first one, as long as the foreign national is never absent from the Italian territory for longer than 6 continous months.
The applicant can renew the residence permit on their own or be assisted by us.
After 5 years of continuous registered legal residency in Italy, the applicant would be eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit.

Time Frame

The expected time frame to obtain the Research visa is approximately 2 months from the application. Once the researcher obtains the visa, they can travel to Italy, apply for the residence permit and reside there legally.

Get in Touch

Do not hesitate to write to us if you wish to have additional information on the requirements for this type of Visa and free-of-charge counselling on your specific case.