Who can apply for it?
This kind of Visa is addressed to third-country nationals who have awarded an high school diploma, allowing them to be hired as researchers for Italian Universities or Italian Research Institutes. As for their work, the researchers can sign a self-employment contract, an employment contract or can receive a fellowship in order to be remunerated by the hosting University.
Which documents do I need to apply?
In order to apply you must have:
- Proof of an hosting agreement with the University or the research Institute;
- Security clearance (Nulla Osta to your enter in Italy), issued by the competent immigration desk, directly sent to the competent diplomatic authority;
- Supporting documents proving that you are a researcher employed by an Italian University or Institution;
- Supporting documents proving the purpose of your stay, such as: student badge, issued by the guesting University, research Institute, college or school where you are going to work;
- If you are a researcher working on medical issues, you will also need a certification of your Bachelor degree, recognised by the Italian Health Ministry;
- Proof of availability of economical means of subsistence;
- Healthcare insurance;
- Proof of availability of an housing in Italy or a declaration of hospitality from an Italian citizen or a foreign citizen legally residing in Italy.
How long will the Visa be valid?
This Visa has a validity of 365 days with multiple entrances and it allows you to apply for a residence permit for research purposes.
How can I apply for it?
In order to apply for a National Italian Visa, you must take an appointment with the Italian Embassy in your Country of residence and be present in person. The day of the appointment you will need to submit the above-mentioned documents in order to apply.
How can I apply for the Electronic Residence Permit, once I have got my Visa?
You can request the release of the corresponding electronic residence permit within 8 days from your first entrance in Italy with your yearly multiple entrance Visa, presenting yourself in person to the competent post-office.
In that occasion you must have:
- an identity card;
- the filled postal-kit with the payment of tax issuance;
- a copy of the security clearance (Nulla Osta) to enter in Italy;
- a copy of your Visa;
- the whole passport.
The competent desk will issue a receipt with the data of the first appointment to the competent police Headquarters, for your personal appearance and the fingerprints. After this appointment, the police headquarters will contact you for the withdraw of your electronic permit card.
How long will my first Residence Permit be valid?
It has the same validity of the duration of your research work.
Can I renew my Residence Permit?
It depends from the purpose of your permit.
How many times I need to renew my permit before applying for the Italian Permanent Residence Permit?
You can apply for your EC long-term residence permit after 5 years of continuous residence in Italy, without considering your long term stay permit and its conversion, if any.
How can I apply for a permanent Residence Permit?
As for the current law provisions, after 5 years of legal stay in Italy, you can request a permanent residence permit (i.e. EC residence permit for long term residents).
The permanent residence permit has no expiry date; it must not be renewed but only updated. It assigns the third-country nationals the right to enter Italy without a Visa, and it is not related to any investment or donation made in the past. You can apply for the permanent resident permit if you are a third-country national who:
- are legally staying in Italy for at least 5 years;
- are holder of a valid temporary residence permit;
- have an annual income from legitimate sources equal, at least, to the amount established yearly by governmental authorities (5.889,00 € for 2018);
- pass an Italian language test.