What is an airport transit VISA?
If you are a third-country national subjected to this specific duty, this VISA allows you to transit through the international transit areas of the airports, without entering in the territory of the Member State which issued the VISA. This a limited territoriality VISA. The duty to have this VISA is an exception to the right of free transit through the international transit area of the airports.
Which documents do I need to apply?
In order to submit your application you need:
- A valid passport or an equivalent travel document with the VISA to enter in the Country of your final destination, where needed;
- A flight ticket or its receipt.
Who must apply for the airport transit VISA in Italy?
This VISA is mandatory if you are a national from the following Countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Senegal, Syria.
Also, you should not:
- Already have a valid uniform VISA or a long stay national VISA or stay permit issued by a Member State;
- Already have a stay permit issued by a Member State of the European Union which does not adopt the VISA Code (such as United Kingdom) or issued by a Member State which does not apply completely the Schengen acquis (such as Romania), or you are a third- country national with a valid transit permit, issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino Republic or USA;
- Have relatives who are EU citizens;
- Have a diplomatic passport;
- Be a member of the air-crew and citizen of one of the contracting party of the Chicago Convention.