Who can apply for Self-employment Visa as entrepreneur?

This entry-Visa is regulated by art. 26 of the TUI, within the yearly quotas established by the Government in the Flussi Decree and related to the entry of third-country nationals for self-employment for entrepreneurs willing to implement an advantageous investment plan for the Italian economy. This plan should provide economical resources not less than € 500.000, deriving from lawful sources, and or the creation of at least three new job positions.

How can I apply for it?

The application must be submitted to the competent Italian Consulate in your Country of residence.

Which documents do I need to apply?

To submit your application, the following documents must be produced:

  • Entry Visa application form;
  • Recent passport-size photograph;
  • Valid travel document whose expiry date is three months longer than that of the Visa requested;
  • Proof of availability of an housing in Italy, such as:
    • contract for the purchase or lease of a property;
    • declaration made pursuant to articles 2 and 4 of the law 4.1.1968, n.15;
    • declaration made pursuant to the same rules by an Italian or foreign citizen legally residing in Italy, stating that he has made available to the applicant a suitable accommodation, corresponding to the minimum parameters provided for by the regional law for public housing;
  • A business plan and economical legal resources for at least € 500.000 euro, providing for the creation of at least three new job positions deriving from the implementation of this business plan;
  • Certificate of an abstract recognition of the resources necessary for the business, trade or craft activity to be undertaken, issued by the relevant Chamber of Commerce for the area where the activity shall take place;
  • Sufficient funds available in Italy to guarantee the resources as per the Certificate;
  • Availability of an income relating to the previous financial year which must be higher than the minimum level required by law for exemption from health care contribution (€8.400), already acquired in the Country of residence;
  • Security Clearance (Nulla Osta to work in Italy) issued by the competent Police Headquarter. This certificate is valid for maximum three months.

How can I apply to the Electronic Residence Permit, once I have got my Self-employment Visa as a director in an Italian company?

You must request the release of the corresponding electronic residence permit within 8 days of your entrance in Italy, with your one year multiple entrance Self-employment Visa (inside quota), presenting yourself in person to the competent post-office. In that occasion you must have:

  • an identity card;
  • the completed postal-kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • a copy of the Security clearance to your entrance in Italy;
  • a copy of your Visa;
  • the whole passport.

The competent desk will issue a receipt with the data of the first appointment to the competent police Headquarters for your personal appearance and the fingerprints. After this appointment, the police headquarters will contact you for the withdraw of your electronic permit card.

How long will my first Residence Permit be valid?

It has a validity of one or two years renewables.

How will I be able to submit a renewal application and which documents will I need?

The renewal request must be presented as the first request for a residence permit by postal kit and sent in person by attaching:

  • The whole passport or equivalent document;
  • The completed postal kit with the payment of tax issuance;
  • Updated view of the company;
  • A copy of the tax return attesting the perception of an annual income at least equal to the amount of the social allowance, or € 5.977,79;
  • Declaration by the President of the company regarding the duties performed by the applicant, with a copy of the declarant’s identity document;
  • Photocopy of the shareholders’ register in the part in which the position held by the applicant is shown.

How many time I need to renew my permit before applying for the Italian Permanent Residence Permit?

You can apply for your EC residence permit for long term residents after 5 years of continuous residence in Italy, without considering your long term stay permit and its conversion, if any.

How can I apply for a permanent Residence Permit?

As per the current law provisions, after 5 years of legal stay in Italy, you can request a permanent residence permit (i.e. EC residence permit for long term residents).

The permanent residence permit has no expiry date, it must not be renewed but only updated. It assigns the third-country nationals the right to enter Italy without a Visa, and it is not related to any investment or donation made in the past. You can apply for the permanent resident permit if you are a third-country national who:

  • are legally staying in Italy for at least 5 years;
  • are holder of a valid temporary residence permit;
  • have an annual income from legitimate sources equal, at least, to the amount established yearly by governmental authorities (€ 5.977,79 for 2020);
  • pass an Italian language test.